I’m not going to lie. I get most of my inspiration for cooking, decorating and projects from Pinterest. Seriously, what did we do before Pinterest!? Some of the things I recreate work out and some are total failures.
My mom’s birthday was coming up and I wanted to make her something special from the kids. I decided to do a framed artwork project spelling out LOVE with their handprints and footprints. This was my inspiration:
Now, I knew trying to write the L and the E in cursive would be a total fail so I decided to do block letters.
I painted Ava’s feet first and did her prints in a V shape.
It was then on to do Ryan’s hand. This should have been easy but getting a 2.5 year old to place his hand exactly where you want can be challenging to say the least. It took about 4-5 failed attempts to get it acceptable.
This was the finished product.
It was very off center but after a bunch of attempts, I figured this was going to be as good as it gets!
The artists! Ryan was more content painting on his own after I was done!
I bought an 8×12 frame at Michael’s, which I think dressed it up a bit more and made it look less bootleg. It is off center but was created with lots of love!
Want to do it yourself? Here is what you need:
- Paper-I used pink construction paper
- Brush-to brush it on their hands. You can also get a thinner brush to paint the letters
- Frame- I used size 8×12
- On practice sheet, trace out placement of letters so you can best place hands and feet
- Start with “V”- Paint a very thin layer of paint on foot. Place feet on paper one at a time to make “V”.
- Repeat painting a very thin layer of paint on hand and press on paper to make the “O”
- Paint L and E to form “LOVE”
- Frame and enjoy!
If I were doing it over again, I would have done the following:
- Done both the kids at different times. It was hard keeping an eye on Ryan around the paint when I was washing Ava’s foot.
- Used one of those stamp pads instead of paint. The paint was hard to get just right. Make sure to do a very thin layer for best results!
- Did a test page so I could have done my placement better.
Of course, grandma had a wonderful birthday and loved it even if it didn’t look as professional as the picture!